My problem getting excited, and even involved in the Presidential election
is clear.
Election after election, there's no one who represents me.
There's no one running for public office who shares even most of my views,
values or politics.
I need a demopublican.
Maybe a republocrat.
I need someone who cares, no matter what they personally believe about
religion, that this country was founded on freedom of religion. That we created
a place in the world people could come and worship whatever they believe, in
peace, without prosecution. In the 1950's the term "In God we Trust" was put
on money (1957) and we pledge allegiance "under God" was added to the Pledge of Allegiance (1954).
It wasn't there originally.
Why?
Because our country was made up of folks who believed in God, Buddha, Allah
. . . and some who don't believe in any deity at all and that was okay. They
were safe here. Free.
We forget when we're so proud of our soldiers for fighting for our freedom
of speech, that they are also men and women who believe in a whole host of
spiritual things that may differ, and they are fighting for that right too.
So why do we insist our President believe in the same God as . . . who? The
majority of voters?
There are so many good people who do not think, believe, practice the same
things we do. I doubt there are many people at all who believe exactly what I
do, but that's okay. I don't think anyone has to. It's my job to figure out what
I believe and live with the results of my decisions.
Hence, why do we think one religion should determine the laws in this
country?
You do not need to be spiritual to be moral.
You do not need to believe in one God to know right from wrong, good from
evil, and to choose to live following one path or another.
The first amendment prohibits the making of any law respecting an
establishment of religion.
And if this country respects that we are a nation founded to allow people
to practice any religion they choose as long as it doesn't impact the rights of
others, how are we fighting about freedoms like gay marriage, based on the
religious beliefs of some?
Is it morally wrong for two people who love one another to be able to get
married if they are consenting adults and their marriage doesn't impede any
rights of their neighbors?
Should I be forced to carry a baby I don't want to term, because of someone
else's religious beliefs? There are some religions that believe any medical
assistance, even an antibiotic is against Gods wishes, should we let them keep
us from having antibiotics available to those of us who don't share this point
of view?
Interestingly, this isn't even a discussion among those in office or those
who wish to be, regarding why we should or shouldn't establish laws.
I personally, agree with many republican views regarding financial issues,
but the democrats represent more of my personal beliefs on social issues.
Do I follow my heart or my pocket book is really the question I have, not
who most represents me. I want this country to do better financially, but I
don't want any ONE religious practice to dominate the laws and decisions made in
this country.
I don't think I'm alone here.
But I don't know why there are no other options.
How does one vote when there's no one who represents them and why isn't
anyone talking about this?
No comments:
Post a Comment