My middle daughter shared with me last night, how she thinks I am in my teen adult years.
These are the years when, as a parent, you no longer believe in Santa Clause. You can't. Reality has set in and you know, he just doesn't exist.
What this means is that I no longer believe, if I do my best with my children, everything will work out great.
That was my Santa Clause. The naive belief that all I had to do was love my children, try and offer the guidance I could, and be the best parent I knew how to be, and they would make the right decisions and fly away unharmed.
Instead I am dealing with the reality of life, that everyone will hurt, will suffer, will make bad choices, no matter how much you taught them, how much you gave them, or how much you love them.
My daughter says this is how the teen years are for most kids.
It starts with the loss of Santa, the Easter Bunny, and the belief that your parents know everything and they will always make everything work out.
I was a child adult when my babies were young.
When I could control their world with clean clothes, a well rounded meal and a kiss on a boo boo. I really, really loved those years. I was good at it.
I could juggle everyone's schedules, and meet their needs.
Then they became teenagers, and apparently I did too. A teen adult.
I was/am as disillusioned as they are.
There's no magic anymore.
Just the harsh reality that I can't make things better, and all that I did for them won't always be enough when they're faced with peer pressure, break ups, hurt feelings, bad skin and sensitive ego's.
Let me tell you, it stinks being a teenager, then and now.
But my daughter assures me. She has some adult years ahead of her -- and I do too.
No one stays a teen forever and she see's adults, with grown children, who are happy again, content, find peace.
Her and I both just have to get through the teens to come out on the other side.
Come to think of, when I was a teenager and through my college years, I just wanted to get to the other side then too. I wanted my life to begin. My adult life.
And here I am again.
Looking forward to my last adulthood.
I can't blame my kids for wishing these years away. For wanting to grow up and become who they are to become on the other side of all of this turbulence.
But them and I will have to find a way to enjoy the trip. Or at least survive.
Hang in there my fellow adult teens.
And those who are in their last adulthood, grab an adult teens hand, and remind them they can do it!
We all need a reminder.
It gets better!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment