Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Snow Days

It's winter.
That means waking up in the dark to make sure all the kids get off for school.
Watching the same kids leave for school in hats, gloves, and short sleeved shirts. (When did purple skin and a lack of warm clothing become fashionable?).
It also means . . . snow days.
My kids didn't have school on Monday. It was the end of the first semester so the teachers had a work day to prepare grades.
Tuesday and today they've been home because of snow and ice.
I'm ready to chew my foot off at the ankle to escape the cries of boredom in my house.
I won't drive them anywhere, surprisingly, I don't want to end up in a ditch.
I won't let them drive (two of the three have their licenses). They've already taken out a mailbox and a street sign in the neighborhood. The Homeowners association is thinking about doubling our fee.
The cupboards are full, but every time they get something to eat they leave a puppy feasting treat in their wake.
Much to my surprise, no one wants to fold clothes, clean their rooms, or vacuum. That's what I do to fill my time at home.
It's not exciting enough for them.
Me neither, but since when does a mom get to chose her daytime activity based on excitement?
Okay, I don't even know what would excite me anymore.
Probably waking up to find the house has been vacuumed, the kids bedrooms are clean ,and all the laundry in the house has been washed, dried, folded and put away.
Mostly I look for peace.
I turn off the television. Sometimes I can't even stand music.
I need to re-energize my brain with silence.
Now, my brain is fried from a day of questions.
My youngest daughter went to the movies recently with some friends. She saw The Unborn. It's about a child who was a twin, only the twin didn;t make it. He tries to get "born" in the course of the movie. Don't ask me any more. I'm surprised I remember that much.
It's been stewing in her ever since.
So she follows me around the house and watches me vacuum. Tapping me on the shoulder and making me turn off the vacuum to answer her questions.
Vrooooooooooooom.
Tap, Tap.
Vacuum off.
"Was I a twin?
"No."
Vrooooooooooooom.
Tap, tap.
Vacuum off.
"Did you give me a nickname before I was born?
"Yes. Based on your sonogram picture. We called you Blob. Affectionately of course."
Vrooooooom.
Tap, tap.
Vacuum off.
"Are you sure I wasn't a twin? I saw a girl the other day and she looked a lot like me. Maybe you gave her up when I was born and decided to just keep me."
"Did she ask a lot of questions? Maybe I made the wrong decision.
Evil grin.
Vrooooooooom.
Tap, tap.
Vroooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooom.

It's maddening.
Suddenly the ice doesn't look so treacherous anymore.
Maybe I can drop her at the mall, tell her, her twin will be looking for her and slide away home before she ask anymore questions?
Then ban her from movies for life.

Snow days aren't what they used to be. But then, neither is parenting.
They can finally sled without me and they don't want to. Besides, sledding ,might require a coat. No one in my house wants to be that uncool.
They'd rather follow me around and torture me inside.
I guess I have to find the positive in all situations, to help me endure what I can't change.
Let me think.

1. Children who don't wear coats don't need to have their coats washed or dry cleaned.
2. When your children slide into sign post and mailboxes, they only hurt the car they're in. Not themselves or other people.
3. I didn't have twins who went to see The Unborn.
4. Snow days aren't forever. They just feel like they are.

No comments: