Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Election Day

In a time when I'm not all that pleased with my children a lot of the time (in other words, they're all teenagers) I'm happy to say I'm bursting with pride, today.
Two of my four teenagers voted in their first Presidential election.
My daughter's at college so she voted with an absentee ballot.
I got to take my son to vote.We drove to the elementary school together and I watched the proctor lead him off to make his decisions.
It was exciting to see him do that.I know he's made up his own mind.
I know he's looked at both candidates and judged them on their positions, not on their age, skin color or personal life.
I wish I could say that about everyone I know.
I wish I could say that about most of the people I know.
My children already know better then to believe rogue emails sent to them talking poorly about someone they don't want to vote for.
Even if they don't like the person they know it doesn't mean that they're all bad and evil.
Even when they disagree with their politics, they know it doesn't mean they're stupid.
It means they disagree with their politics.
It would be impossible for an imbecile to get to the US Senate, let alone have so many intelligent Americans supporting them.
Both candidates have intelligent Americans supporting them.
I really love that my kids know that.
I know so many adults that don't.
My kids see that each candidate has a family, a life, a beating heart.
They've all made bad decisions, and good ones.
They've all done some good, and very likely some harm.
Like each of us, they're human.
My children feel bad when someone's judged unfairly.
When someone's tricked, or criticised for things that don't matter when it comes to the election.
I love that they get that, whether it's the candidate that they want in office, or not.

There were some older women outside the voting area selling things for the town womens club and I got to tell them how he voted for the first time today in a Presidential election.
I couldn't wipe the smile off my face.
They clapped and cheered.
He deserved that.
We all do.
Those of us who vote.
I hope you did!

No comments: