Well, summer's almost over, this time for real.
Looking back, I realize that like all good times in life, there's a lot to learn.
Like black seats in a convertible are a better deal in January then they are in July.
See there, if you read this in January, and you're car shopping, that little tid bit might just make your day.
Oh, and leather seats are better with long pants then they are in shorts. It never hurts to keep a spatula in your glove compartment.
We've seen folks come and go from here this summer.
I swear a little salt water and sunshine helps dissolve the worries in your life, if just for a little while. Sometimes a little while is all we get, so we should take it when it comes.
We'll go back to Maryland and have to face the mess we left there. The beds that were or were not made, the clothes that were or were not hung up, the dishwasher that was or was not run. Just goes to show you that you can take a break from things, they'll always be there waiting when your better able to handle them.
We've seen some crazy storms blow in on the Albemarle Sound. Some really scary ones, with damaging winds, and hail, but no matter how bad the storm, or how much it frightened us, or how much damage it caused, the sun always returned. The mess can be cleaned up and things can be set right again. Sometimes it's even better after, with cooler temperatures and comfortable breezes.
My youngest daughter didn't want to come this summer. She didn't want to be away from her friends at school. Now she doesn't want summer to end. At the same time, she is looking forward to seeing her friends again.
I told her that means she has a good life, when all the choices she has, all the things she has to do, are wonderful things to look forward too.
I wish that life for each of you.
I'm living it, too.
Summer may be over, but I do so enjoy the cooler temperatures of fall, the bright reds and purples of the mums that are yet to bloom, and the orange pumpkins that are waiting to be carved. I won't get to sit on the beach during surf lessons listening to John Denver, but I can sit in a painting class listening to John Denver. I get to trade one nice thing in life for another. Oh, and let's not forget my very favorite part of fall . . . that bright yellow school bus that promises me a few hours a day of peace.
What's not to love about that?
In less than a week, we'll return to the life we left behind, knowing, no matter how hectic it gets, or how much we enjoy it, it won't last either. Change is the only thing we can count on for sure.
Change . . . and the sun.
It always comes out again and eventually, brings us back, to summer.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment