Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Babies and Bandaids

Moving is like pregnancy --
You know it's going to hurt (alot) , and you'll have to live with the results for a very long time, but it will be worth it in the end. You hope.
This was out first ever local move. I mistakenly thought it would be easier then moving across the country or internationally.
Trust me, there's no such thing as an easy move.
Moving across the country means you get to rip the bandaid off suddenly. You have to pack everything, travel, unload, and unpack. It's done. You're there, surrounded by rubble, but all there.
Moving across town means, you can rip the bandaid off one tiny glue stuck hair at a time.
In other words, I still have food in the fridge, clothes in the closet and a lot of things to deal with in the old house. At the same time, I have piles in the kitchen, boxes in the closets, and a ton of things to deal with in the new house. It's been weeks and the bandaid won't come off. It's just hanging there pulling the hairs and causing me stress.
I'll get there though.
I just don't know when.
The trouble with a local move is you still have your life going on all around you. The kids have end-of-the-school-year-everything going on, friends to see, and I have the last few Glen Echo painting classes to attend. If we'd moved across country, we'd have left this life behind and could actually wait until we dug through some of the moving rubble to start a new one. Hmmmmm
Maybe local moves are harder?
Probably not, they just can't be considered easy.
What's interesting about taking your time, is learning just what you prioritize.
My art supplies were sent over before the furniture arrived.
The dogs came every time I did.
Books were packed and sent the first day.
The small animals (birds, guinea pigs, hamsters) had to wait a day after the big furniture was moved.
Pots and pans weren't sent for until Sunday, five days after we started sleeping in the house. They weren't missed either.
The bandaid may be dangling, but that's not a bad thing either. Like pregnancy, it's a constant reminder of all I need to do, and I know, no matter how it feels, it will get done.
Babies and bandaids won't hang on forever.

No comments: